Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Believe

Nancy and Rene

Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together and give a warm welcome to the newest guest writer for The Adventures of TeamRenJen blog: Rene!

Just like everyone on this blog, I have enjoyed reading Jen’s journey as my donor, but I would like to take a moment to tell you how our journeys merged almost a year ago.


As many know, I have been living with Renal Disease for over 10 years with the last 5 years on dialysis 3 times a week. In January 2009 my wonderful friend Shereen gifted a lifetime membership to Matchingdonors.com to me, a membership I thought of doing for a couple of years, but just was not ready to do. The timing was right and I submitted my profile to the website. The writing of my profile flowed so easy for me that evening! I wrote about how my kidney disease was a part of my life not my entire life!


My profile:

Greetings! My name is V. Rene Miranda I am the mother of an amazing 16 year old son who is the joy of my life! I have been living with the challenges of End Stage Renal Disease for the past 8 years, with almost 4 of those years on dialysis. I have dialysis 3 times a week for 3 1/2 hours each session. Although my renal disease is a big part of my life...it is not my entire life! I worked in the Development field for the last 4 years in the higher Ed arena until I had to resign my position due to my health. I stay active by volunteering, spending time with my son, and just trying to stay healthy until I receive my transplant. I have been cleared for a transplant, but I need a donor and I hope that will be you! My donor needs to have O blood type negative or positive and be healthy. I am a very upbeat and positive person and I will continue to be hopeful not only for myself but for my wonderful son Phillip. I promised Phillip after I receive my kidney transplant we will go to Paris and see the memorial site of Jim Morrison (Phillip is a huge 60's Rock and Roll fan). If you are interested in being my donor, please contact me at the information listed. I hope you will consider giving me the gift of a healthier life. Peace and abundant gratitude!


After my profile was posted, two months later I heard from a kind gentleman here in MA who tested to be my donor, but due to family difficulties it did not work out. I have to admit I was disappointed, but decided to go back to the site and try again. On August 21st I received an email from Jen Denis. The moment I read her email it just felt right! We bonded even more after that great exchange. So following several more emails and getting the joyous news that we were a match, it was time to finally meet in person!



Meeting Jen!

In late fall, 2009 my partner Nancy and I picked up Jen from the airport; it was a moment I will never forget! The moment I saw Jen it felt as though I had known her forever! We hugged and she had this beautiful smile and warm eyes that just put me at ease. I told her the moment I saw her I wanted to turn her around and point to the kidney I wanted and she actually thought that was funny! That’s when I knew it was a match made in heaven! Jen and I spent the next day at Mass General Hospital where she began a 2-day round of testing. I kept looking at her thinking how blessed I was to have her in my life and how in less than 6 months she would help restore my life to normal again! Jen Denis is my earth angel! Over the past 6 months we have communicated via phone, email and facebook and finally she will be here Monday!


In eleven days the surgery will take place. I am filled with excitement, happiness, and just a touch of fear. In 11 days the most generous, loving, funny, smart, beautiful Jen will become a part of me! I often wonder how I can thank Jen for such a generous gift, and I realize the best thank you is to live a healthy life! Jen you are a part of my family now and we love you tremendously! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!


This blog entry is called I Believe, a song by Fantasia Barrino, my theme song for my life with kidney disease. You see I believed that I would one day receive a kidney and that day has arrived…June 22nd! Thank you Jen for helping me believe. Thank you to my partner Nancy who has been such a source of strength for me! Nancy is one of the main reasons I have survived so well with this disease; she has really been there for me and I love her with all my heart. My dear sweet Russell has been my source of true laughter! And he is an amazing father to our son Phillip. Last but not least, our son Phillip, it is Phillip who has provided me with the courage to deal with my kidney disease. Phillip is my heart and soul and I am so proud to be his Mom. Thank you to all my family and friends who have been there for me! And finally a very special Thank you to Douglas Brooks, we are one, I love you!


Peace and Love

Rene


Russell and Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment